Before arriving for your PET scan there are a few things you should do to prepare:
- For dinner the night before the exam, eat a no carb, high protein diet for dinner, e.g., meats, fish, green vegetables, eggs or cheese. Do not eat any carbohydrates, e.g., no breads, pasta, starches, or sugars.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight, except water. Please drink as much water as you prefer. If your appointment is at 12:30 p.m. or later, you may have a no carb, high protein, light snack, to be finished by 6:30 a.m.
- No gum, candy or sugar the morning/day of appointment.
- No smoking or caffeine 12 hours prior to your appointment.
- No vigorous exercise 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- On the morning of the exam, take your usual medications with water, as long as you can take medications on an empty stomach. If diabetic, please follow the below instructions.
IF YOU ARE DIABETIC, AND ON ORAL TREATMENT:
You may take your oral diabetic medications as prescribed, unless you are being seen for a Colon or Bowel Indication.
- If you are being seen for a Colon or Bowel Indication and blood sugar is above 200mg/dL, TAKE your oral diabetic medication, but you will have to reschedule your appointment.
IF YOU ARE DIABETIC, AND ON INSULIN TREATMENT:
Check and record your blood sugar levels 4 hours prior to appointment:
- If blood sugar is below 200mg/dL, DO NOT take any insulin.
- If blood sugar is over 200mg/dL, only take ½ of the insulin dose and eat a no carb, high protein “light” snack, such as, egg or piece of cheese.
Wear comfortable clothes, with no buckles or metal. It is also best to leave any jewelry at home. Times can vary depending on the type of scan. It is best to plan to spend about 2 hours with us.
If you are claustrophobic, please consult with your physician and you must contact PET/CT staff for the safest possible preparation method. P.E.T. Fusion Imaging does not dispense or stock any medications. If you take or anticipate needing any medication, please bring it with you.
If there is a history of melanoma, you will need to inform our PET/CT staff.
If pregnant or nursing, you will need to inform our PET/CT staff.
No barium 72 hours prior to PET/CT exam.
For inpatients: No I.V. fluids containing sugar solutions.
It is best to consult with the PET/CT staff prior to your exam to go over any specific preparation needs. Failure to follow the guidelines could affect the results of the scan and provide your physician with inaccurate information.